Friday 30 April 2010

Evaluation 3 - What have you learned from your audience feedback?

From the feedback that I obtained from my blog, I was able to get an understanding into how other people saw my music video. Because the comments came from other media students, I knew the feedback would be useful to me, as they know what to look for in a media product. Whether it be the different camera angles or the mise en scene they were commenting on they knew what to look for.

 

I feel it is important to have an open mind in terms of feedback because you do need to take in the positive and negative comments in order to progress with anything. So although I obviously wanted people to write positive comments, I also was curious to fund out what other people felt I could improve on. From the comments I did get however, most of them were mainly positive.

 

A lot of people commented on my use of mise en scene, they found the story very easy to follow and understand. This was very important to me because during my planning stage, that was what I aimed to do. I wanted to create a music video that did not include lip singing, I wanted to create a story through the mise en scene and have it relate to the lyrics. So I was really pleased with those comments, as it was me who set up the video. There were so many shots that I did not use and cut out during the editing stage, because I felt that they did not go well with the story or the video. I put the whole video together how I wanted, so if people didn’t like it then it would have been down to me. The only negative comment I did get from one student was that they felt some of the shots were a bit random and did not go well with the video or the story. Seeing as this was just the opinion of one person I am going to see it as their own opinion, I understand that not everyone is going to have something positive to say. As the majority of people who have seen my video don’t share the same view as that one person.

 

The black white theme I decided to use throughout the video was intended to link with the story, lyrics and mood of the song. To me I see black and white as being a void of emotions, and taking the colour out I felt made the video seem more dream like which is how I wanted it to look. A lot of the comments again said how they loved the black and white theme and felt it works really well with the mise en scene and my story. The location that I filmed my music video was in a Georgian Manor Mansion, which was perfect for what I wanted. On the day of filming I was met with snow, which I did not know would benefit me or be a disadvantage. But now I feel the snow worked well with the black and white theme, and also went well with the sense of coldness and lack of emotion the subject was trying to portray.

 

I did get a lot of comments about my use of camera angles, I did include a lot of close ups as I wanted the focus to be on the face of my artist as the emotions at times had to be quite extravagant. I wanted people to read the emotion on her face clearly. My use of wide shots I used was following the subject on her journey and to show the setting, location and costume. A lot of people did comment on that I had a good medium of different camera angles, which is good because I wanted people to see the skills I have learnt.

 

Overall I am very happy with the comments I have been given, I feel that I am able to see how I have improved and how my skills in media have progressed based on the feedback I have been given. Having people notice and appreciate my own media product the same way I saw it, and also learning that there are ways for me to improve. And I am going to continue to improve and learn from this so that I can progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment