Friday 30 April 2010

Evaluation 2 - How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


Josh - Hi I'm Josh and this is my music video i made to the song 'Bring Me To Life' by an American band called Evanescence.

Evanescence are based in the US, and are extremely popular among 15 to 25 year olds. Their music is mainly suited to the rock genre.

For my featured artist that i included i wanted her to fit with the style of the song. So i had her looking haunting into the camera lens at first. As the video progresses i wanted her emotions to become bigger and more uncontrollable.

This idea came from my own research into rock genre music videos. I used mainly close ups of my featured artist as i wanted the emotion on her face to be read clearly as some of them had to be made quite extreme.

The story behind my music video was taken from ideas from music videos that u had researched that i had seen, and some from my own ideas. The video itself starts off in a dream like scenario , where we follow the subject on her journey of emotions to find her lost husband.
I wanted her dream character to be like an alter ego rebellious person who takes over during sleep. And her normal self during the day, the two are separated through costume and emotions.

I decided not to have my featured artist lip singing the song, as i wanted the story of the video to come across more through the lyrics and in the video. And not just through the artist just singing the song.

The main effect i used throughout was the black and white effect, i wanted to take the color out of the video to make the video feel more dream like. From my feedback i have received this did help the story come across a lot clearer. But a few people did feel that lip singing is important in a music video, but this is not what i wanted.

Drop In Digi Pack

I decided to make my digi pack relevant to my video and the genre of my music. After researching other album covers i was inspired most by Cheryl Cole's album three words. And tried to incorporate the theme into my own style where the artist is the main focus.
I created a collage of pictures on photoshop, using four seperate images, having two of them in black and white and two of them in color. I feel my digi pack grabs the attention and sticks to the theme of my video.

Drop In Magazine Advert

For my music magazine advertisement, i decided i wanted that mainly in color. Unlike the rest of the theme of my other media products, I wanted the colours to stand out using red on a black background. Still sticking to a rock and roll theme. I feel my magazine advert and digi pack show a clear theme and relate to eachother and my video.

Overall i am pleased with how my media products have turned out. I feel i have achieved what i wanted whilst sticking to the rock genre theme. And that i have portrayed a different style of media product will sticking to the music genre theme to most videos that are out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment